A recent study of Boston Public Schools conducted by Harvard University found that a quality preschool education leads to an increased vocabulary and other skills when kids enter kindergarten. That advantage can affect them positively for the rest of their lives.
Now, I know you think this is one of those things that proves people will waste money on any study with an obvious result. But, there’s some real important stuff in the study (which lives behind a login wall).
For instance, Boston Public Schools actually pay their teachers well. Offering substantial pay to the people who educate our children seems like an obvious path to better schools, but education funding always hits the chopping block first when budget cuts are needed.
Boston-area preschools do some other stuff differently, too, such as play-based learning and eliminating income limits as a determining factor of enrollment eligibility, which leads to a genuinely diverse student body.
I guess the results of this study are obvious, but in this case I’m glad they did it because some people need to hear this.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- kromehartz likes this
- lamshop7 likes this
- travelwithroses likes this
- egansaves2 reblogged this from thedaddycomplex
- wonderfulslumber likes this
- sarahhong reblogged this from thedaddycomplex
- dad2oh likes this
- cierralaboca said: People need to hear that teachers need to be paid better!
- cierralaboca likes this
- dani1823 likes this
- eponymousbosch reblogged this from thedaddycomplex
- rockabillymomma likes this
- geofaultline reblogged this from thedaddycomplex
- geofaultline likes this
- neilbernhart likes this
- betheteacheryouloved likes this
- studentstudio likes this
- misse1012 likes this
- babygrowing reblogged this from thedaddycomplex
- wheretheykeepthelight likes this
- mrstu likes this
- whiteboardmojo likes this
- sprogblog likes this
- takenbythesky likes this
- kandiasschronicles likes this
- electradaddy said: Education is grossly undervalued in this country & we’re really seeing the effects. Having just spent the day at Kennedy Space Center & seeing what we accomplished in the 50s & 60s, I’m not sure we could repeat that today.
- electradaddy likes this
- somedaymom likes this
- momfarts likes this
- misslysreign likes this
- nibblesandbits likes this
- relativekarma likes this
- keighly7889 likes this
- kellyadams said: similar system up here in canada… ;)
- kellyadams likes this
- kimber-leigh likes this
- mywildloves reblogged this from thedaddycomplex and added:
- bigjon likes this
- monkeybrainmama likes this
- tuckerblogs likes this
- drainthenight likes this
- chrystinanteater likes this
- enamorame-con-actos likes this
- haltlose likes this
- starkravingdad likes this
- thedaddycomplex posted this