Okay, I’ve wanted to write about this for a long time, but I didn’t really know how. I recently realized, however, that a handful of readers might find this useful/encouraging/whatever. So, here goes…
Boone and Wyatt came into our lives because of fertility treatments. My wife and I used fertility treatments because we had trouble maintaining a pregnancy. And when I say trouble, I mean trouble — three specialists on two coasts over seven years, multiple failed attempts, five recorded miscarriages, plus at least two more that didn’t even make it to the stage where it could be considered a miscarriage. But believe me, they were miscarriages.
The extremely frustrating thing about it was nobody could tell us what was wrong. We baffled all the doctors to whom we were paying shitloads of money. I checked out okay, my wife checked out okay. We had no trouble getting pregnant, we had trouble staying pregnant.
Aside from essentially mourning a death or two each year, coping with infertility was — and is — a lonely, lonely place. Even if you’re fortunate enough to see the glimmers of humor in the terrible situation, you can’t share them with anybody because if they haven’t gone through it, they simply don’t understand the depth of the depression you have to fight out of every day and, if they have been through it, they don’t want to hear other people bitching about it, too. Sword, thou art double-edged.
In fact, if you have a friend or family member dealing with fertility issues, here’s a handy list of things you should never, ever say to them:
- "You guys just need to relax."
- "You guys just need to go on a vacation."
- "You guys just need to get drunk and fuck."
- "My sister had trouble getting pregnant, now she has two beautiful kids."
- "Have you thought about adopting?"
For the record, that last one shouldn’t be mentioned because adoption is not a solution to infertility. It is a solution to wanting to be a parent. While one does affect the other, they are not the same. Also for the record, my wife and I did look into adoption, but not as a replacement for a child we couldn’t have. All the other items in the above list shouldn’t be mentioned because they are non-medical solutions to a medical problem. You wouldn’t tell a person with cancer that they just need to go on vacation. Don’t be an idiot.
All that said, stress is certainly a factor. Stress affects the body and can make it hard to get or stay pregnant. Of course, if you have trouble getting or staying pregnant, that’s stressful. Hello again, sword.
I joke about it with my wife, but it does bother me a bit that neither one of us was even in the room when my guys were technically conceived. So, when I’m feeling smart-alecky and people tell me God blessed me with two beautiful boys, I correct them by saying, “Well, God, our checkbook and Dr. Rosen blessed us with these boys.”
I know some of you readers are going through this now. I just wanted to tell you you’re not alone. There are people all around you who deal with this in silence, just like you. It sucks, but you’ll be okay. Stay strong. Have hope.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- impalaintheanimus likes this
- slamova likes this
- amiracle4us likes this
- mgmth1 likes this
- daughterofthebeard likes this
- thecynicalcrayon likes this
- p-resh-us likes this
- 2legittwoquit likes this
- meturnedmom likes this
- love-love-hereweare likes this
- hastywife likes this
- jillynbrady likes this
- raisinglittlehumans likes this
- daddynoob likes this
- babypeapod reblogged this from thedaddycomplex
- tinareher likes this
- jss likes this
- awmommy likes this
- nomadsoul likes this
- millerondemand reblogged this from thedaddycomplex and added:
- elishaa5 likes this
- electradaddy likes this
- mrstu likes this
- nibblesandbits likes this
- twoweeksnotice likes this
- oursarah likes this
- bumbleeebeees likes this
- anayamia likes this
- hopetheverb likes this
- martiniqueeny likes this
- mymoonmystarandme reblogged this from myheartmysoulmysons and added:
- arc-flash-and-shock-hazard reblogged this from thedaddycomplex
- ilovebean likes this
- bageldreams likes this
- butdadsaid likes this
- mywildloves likes this
- ausimosa likes this
- myheartmysoulmysons reblogged this from thedaddycomplex and added:
- go-mo-go likes this
- wanderlustingk likes this
- pamilya reblogged this from thedaddycomplex
- pamilya likes this
- thedaddycomplex reblogged this from thedaddycomplex and added:
- piggyvonninja likes this
- theramblingark likes this
- understandislam likes this
- apatosaurus likes this
- wannabemom likes this
- kimlisagor likes this